Pages

Friday 13 March 2015

PaperArtsy Blog Challenge No. 5 - Deconstruction


The new challenge on the PaperArtsy blog is 'Deconstruction' -
I've taken that literally as you can see from my photo above,
but there are lots of other interpretations - 
all the details may be found here.

So, why have I cut my jeans up?
Firstly, they no longer fit me (yay, the diet's working!!)
and for sometime I've been wanting to turn jeans
into a bag and I recently found a link to some video tutorials
which explains just how to do that.
When I saw the 'deconstruction' theme and watched Leandra's
YouTube video and she mentioned using fabric - that was my
nudge to get on and do it! 

I won't describe in too many words step by step how I turned
my jeans into a bag, but have taken a few photos
along the way - and here are the links to the YouTube videos,
by the very talented Izzy MEIMsaab -






Once the jeans were cut up and stitched along the bottom
I needed to find some lining fabric.
In amongst my fabric stash, I found this actual bag
 which I'd bought on holiday a few years ago and decided I'd never use
 - it's a silky soft fabric and perfect for the lining -
 and it already has a zip in - result!


I cut the handles off the holiday bag, cut into strips
and then stitched onto some of the denim (from the legs of the jeans).
In the videos the handles were left unfinished - for a trendy look,
but I couldn't bring myself to leave them so messy -


I just folded them in half - they're still a bit scruffy, but that's ok for me.
(How lucky the colours in the holiday bag match the 
embroidery on the pockets of the jeans)


I used more of the fabric from the holiday bag to thread
through the belt loops.


 
I made the handles quite long as I like to
wear my bags over my shoulder.

So that was the bag finished, but I hadn't used any
PaperArtsy products - I know that isn't a requirement of the
challenge, but still it didn't seem right not to.
Here's what I used - Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylics
Lilac and Sherbet


...and from another holiday, a couple of old drink coasters
and some of the left over fabric 


I used a Sizzix Bigz Die - 'Artist Trading Card' to
change the shape of the coasters.


Painted and rubber stamped the inside of what
had become a little post in note holder
with some paperArtsy products

 
For the outside covers, I stitched more of the fabric
directly onto the coasters - the denim heart is another
Sizzix die cut shape.
(I overlooked the fact the top of the covers were rounded
so when I punched holes with the Bind it All machine,
the holes only partially punched out - doh!)



Ta-da!!
I think I'll try the bag out tomorrow
when I go shopping :)
 
Thanks for looking.


12 comments:

Алексровер Анна said...

Oh, woooow! Sherry, really great reconstruction! a new bag , so stylish!

Mrs A. said...

Fantasstic make over but where are all the hanging threads you always make me leave huh!!!
Hugs Mrs A.

Meggymay said...

Wow, Sherry this is an amazing piece of re cycling. Enjoy using your new bag it should be seen and admired.
Yvonne xx

ann said...

WOW!!!! love the bag so clever xx

Deborah said...

Wow! Sherry, your bag is utterly brilliant! And I can see why you bought the bag that became the lining - the fabric is gorgeous.

Hazel Agnew said...

Sensational!

experiments in paper said...

Great bag!! What a great way to recycle old favorites! Love the small note holder, also. Love your make! xx Lynn

Sarah B said...

definitely wow - this is so pretty, I want one ! xx

Darcy Marshall said...

Wow this is brilliant!!!

Unknown said...

Love how you are taking me back in time here Sherry! First of all congrats on not fitting this jeans anymore, yeah! How totally splendid! I just love seeing jeans being cut up, I made quite a few of similar bags back in the early 80-ies and seeing your gorgeous version I might cut one up again ;-) Hugs, Ira
Ira’s Crea Corner

JansArtyJunk said...

Wow...what a wonderful makeover...the bag is brilliant and I love the little addition of the post it note holder ( a fab idea for all those crafty shopping lists!!) You are so clever with the sewing machine :) Jan xx

Jester said...

A fantastic upcycling project, Sherry. Your bag looks amazing! I am sure you will receive lots of fabulous comments when you use it. Jx