Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

A Necklace .... well sort of!


I ventured along to this week's jewellery class alone (and survived!!!)

We made the above necklace - well part of it, I had to finish
it off at home as I run out of time.

I really like the look of it, but you may be able to see from
the photo that the links are not all the same size and some
are a bit on the wonky side too!  Well, I am a novice at all this,
so hopefully in time I'll improve.

The only materials needed were some 1.8 wire and jump rings.
I haven't yet mastered the skill of opening and closing jump rings 
using the tools so consequently have worn my fingernails down quite a bit!

I'm showing below step by step notes of how I made
the necklace, only because in a few days time I'll have forgotten!

We cut 32 pieces of the silver l.8 wire - each piece 
measuring 4cm long (in my case approx 4cm long!)
We then bent the wire around a small bead bottle to
give it the curved shape.


We took five of the pieces are hammered them flat
leaving a little bit at the end to make a loop with
the round nosed pliers.
They were then all threaded onto one jump ring.
This is the pendant for the necklace.


With the remaining 4cm long pieces of curved wire,
each end had to be looped
 (again with the long nosed pliers)


 These two pieces were then joined together with jump rings
at each end.

 All that needed doing then was joining each link
together with more jump rings and attaching the pendant
in the middle.

We made a 'S' shaped hook for the opening which you
may be able to see at the top of the photo.


All that I need to need to do now is to try and pick
the necklace up from my desk and hope it doesn't fall apart!

Thanks for looking :)

11 comments:

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

I think it looks fab - the pendant is great!

Hugs, Estelle xx

Anonymous said...

It's Chloe xx Did u take it apart when u got home or did u just not finish it xx

Deborah said...

Another string to your bow, Sherry. I don't have the patience and am too clumsy to bend bits of wire.

Meggymay said...

Oh my , this is unique, a wonderful necklace and no one will ever have one like it.
Yvonne

PeggyR said...

I love what you did. I am hoping to take some wire jewelry classes this Fall.

Createology said...

Hello SSD...your new necklace is so much work! It looks very fun and shows how much time and effort you put into making it. It will look very lovely on you dear. Isn't it great to learn new techniques?!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Sherry, I really love the look of your new necklace, it's so delicate and elegant, would be perfect on a simple, plain black or dark coloured shirt, would make it stand out beautifully! Hugs, Ira ♥
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Leanie said...

Gorgeous, must try this! x

JansArtyJunk said...

Oh Sherry your necklace is wonderful, loving the unusual links and the fab little pendant! :) cool work!!

Clare said...

That necklace is just lovely, is there no end to your talents!

Jester said...

Wow, your necklace is beautiful. I'm sure the little irregularity (which I can't see in the photo)just adds to its charm!