Pages

Friday 21 October 2011

Bookmark (and tag) for Christmas!


That's the theme over on the Flickr Art 'n' Soul group for the
swap challenge which runs until 1st December ...

"to make a BOOKMARK with a VINTAGE theme AND include LACE somewhere on the project - you can make the actual bookmark from any medium you wish providing it is sturdy enough to be used and adorn it any way you want to as long as it has a vintage/shabby chic theme!"
For my bookmark then, I cut up an old dressmaking tissue pattern
and stuck on an image photocopied from the packet -
then gave the whole thing a couple of layers of Mod Podge.
The Mod Podge dries clear and leaves the tissue much sturdier
and prevents it from tearing.
I machine stitched it onto some cotton fabric
and added a lace flower aged with some Tea Dye coloured Distress Ink.


I didn't do anything to the button, it was like that - just old and shabby!

I added a few layers of lace to the bottom
and the back is covered with lace too.
The ribbon threaded through the top is seam binding
distressed with more of the Tea Dye coloured Distress Ink.
(In reality it isn't that deep a colour)

 
This is a two part challenge as we also had to make a tag ....

 "You must make a Christmas themed tag to go with your bookmark - so your partners will receive a scrummy Christmas pressie bookmark wrapped with a nice Christmas tag"
 

I actually prefer the tag to the bookmark!
I made it in the same way.
The band of Christmas greetings at the top is part of a ribbon
I saved from a Lush parcel last year.
The hat is a Christmas button which I think looks rather fetching!



I stitched plain paper to the back so there is somewhere
for the message to be written.


They both look like tags, or they both look like bookmarks -
whatever you prefer - lol.
I hope the button emellishments aren't too bulky though
for bookmarks (oops, I should have thought of that earlier!)

Thanks for looking :)

14 comments:

Viv said...

Great job Sherry! Thanks for joining in - I need to get my 'thinking hat' on cos I haven't got any ideas... could you lend me the HAT from this please????? LOL

Deborah said...

As I said on flickr, I love them both. Great use of recycled materials (can't get more vintage than that!)

Meggymay said...

I would use both as book marks, they are gorgeous. Yvonne x

Jan said...

So original and so pretty. Must get cracking on mine... haven't a clue yet!

Netty said...

Fabulous bookmarks Sherry. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

Heavens2Betsy said...

These are both totally fabulous. Love them. penny

Createology said...

Your bookmark and tag are fabulous. If the button is too bulky for a book just use the ribbon end in the pages and enjoy the rest hanging over the cover of the book to enjoy. I love how cleverly you have used pattern tissue. Blissful inspiration...

Jester said...

Two fabulous tags, Sherry. I particularly like the first one.
Thanks for popping by!

Terry said...

Another Mod Podge user! Love how you used a pattern piece for the background and the stitching of course! So clever!! Before the "sewing" theme became so popular, I had donated a ton of very old patterns! Who would have thought? Love both! Have a great weekend!

Lesley said...

Hi there Sherry, what a great post. I love your tag and bookmark. I can't wait to do more paper stuff, that will come soon. You have inspired me to do more with sewing tissue. I have some here and the modge idea to make it hold up is a great tip. Thanks for sharing.
Happy weekend friend.
Les

Unknown said...

Your tags are fantastic Sherry! Just love how you combined all of those fine embellishments, lace etc. So very creative!! Have a great Sunday, hugs, Ira

Renee Stien said...

Sherry, these are great, you did an awesome job on them both!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

OMG love these Sherry!! All my fave things!! lace, tissue pattern, vintage buttons...Fabulous tag and bookmark!!
Jan x

Mrs A. said...

I totally missed this post (thats Muvergate for you) but glad I have now read the rules properly as I thought both the bookmark and tag had to be Chrismassy!!! Der. Saved me undoing one anyway. This bookmark is fabby. Have to think something up now for mine that is different. 1/2 bottle of wine later and I'm still clueless!! Hugs Mrs A.