Pages

Sunday 24 April 2011

Button It Challenge


This is a challenge set by
who have now added to their beautiful ribbon ranges, buttons!
As I was one of the first fifteen people to email in response to their
'Button it' challenge, they sent me the above button box in the
colour range of my choice - which was 'Autumn Leaves'.
All they asked was that I make and send to them
two projects using the buttons.

I made two wall hangings.


Mountboard base covered with part of an old dressmaking pattern cover
(aged with Distress Inks, metallic rub on paste and gold mica spray).

The dress form and cotton reels are die cut from mountboard using Tim Holtz/Sizzix  ''Sewing Room" Bigz die.  This time I padded the body
part of the form with wadding and covered with fabric. 
 I used Walnut Stain ink to colour the base of the form and made it 
shine with Glossy Accents to give a polished wood look.
The buttons were stitched to a ribbon sash and draped over the form.

The wings were part of an old dressmaking pattern adhered to fabric
with Mod Podge and machine stitched around the edges.

The little sign is rubber stamped (from the 'Vintage Sewing' set by Sam Poole/Creative Expressions) onto card and edged around with 
brown promarkers to look like a frame. 



This one is entirely made from assorted fabric and ribbon scraps.

The main image is a rubber stamp from
PaperArtsy (Dolls Plate 1).

I used the following colours of Distress Ink
to colour the main background and the wide ribbon at the top.
Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade, Fired Brick and Forest Moss.
The ric rac hanger was white and coloured with the Spice Marmalade
and a little of Fired Brick Ink.

For 'Button Queen' I used a small alphabet set (a cheap one
from Hobbycraft) to make the words, stamped them onto fabric,
cut out and machined stitched them on.

Oh, and there's a few buttons here and there too!

Thanks for looking and I hope you're having a
Happy Easter xx

18 comments:

Gez Butterworth said...

BRILLIANT! Lovely creations Sherry. :)

Jan said...

Clever girl..... lovely hangings! Lucky girl to win the buttons too!

Createology said...

Very fun. I find buttons absolutely fascinating and have played with them since my Grandma would let me into her button box. For crafting they just seem to add a dimension element to the project that finishes it. Happy buttoning...

Unknown said...

I love buttons and both of those are gorgeous.

Heavens2Betsy said...

These are just lovely and so clever! penny

Meggymay said...

Fabulous wall hangings Sherry.
Happy Easter to you and the family. xx

Terry said...

Awesome way to display buttons! Very creative and fun projects!

Unknown said...

Wow, brilliant creations! Fabulous play with buttons! Cool!

Deborah said...

Love that button queen!

oneoff said...

Fab-tab-ulous! I particularly love the button queen - she's so sassy with her sideways glance...

Bx

Healing Woman said...

Both are lovely but I think I'm partial to the first one. Love the wings and manniquin look.

Luna Art said...

wonderful creations, love the padded dress form and the vintage wings x

Lesley said...

Hi Sherry
Wow you lucky and very creative girl.
I am loving this die cut set of Tim's. Thinking I may have to get that one.
Stay creative ♥
Les

Kathy said...

Hi Sherry... lucky you to win such goodies.. and love what you did.. that button queen is toooooo cute.. and that die cut looks amazing every time you do it...
Kath
xx

Mrs A. said...

Both of these are sew cute.( Soree couldn't resist that.) It's the hot water has gone to my head or the pounds lighter in our pockets. Yep we have the plumbing sorted. I love Dan the Plumber. He is my Man.
Was here for seven hours. You have never seen so much new pipe work in your life. I'd let you borrow him but his mine!!!!

PetraB said...

Your wall hangings are amazing. I love how you used all the little elements especially the buttons.

Nicks said...

WOW!! I am loving these x

Gini said...

Fabulous creations with those gorgeous buttons, you can't beat a pretty button...
The button lady has wobbly Max Wall legs LOL!
Gini
xx