Pages

Saturday 25 April 2009

Altered Tin - 'Sea Treasures'





This month's challenge over on the GAS Flickr group (that is, group for altered art swaps)is to alter a tin using the sea as a theme.

For some reason altering a tin has never appealed to me - but nevertheless I bought a little tin of mints from Aldi and placed it at the back of my craft desk and kept looking over at it hoping inspiration would come! (the mints inside disappeared very quickly - don't know where they went to!!!!!)

As soon as some altered tins started appearing in the photostream of the GAS group I felt suitably inspired as there are some gorgeous ones in there.

This is what I did with the outside:
~ coated with some acrylic paint as a base
~ once dry, coloured it with alcohol inks (blues and greens)
~ coloured a piece of stampbord with brusho
~ added some printed text 'Follow the river and you will find the sea'
~ Finished off with some Ranger's Glossy Accents
~ Stuck it to the lid with some E6000 glue (first attaching some fabric and glitter)

This is what I did with the inside - much more interesting!
~ Cut a piece of silver self adhesive tape and free hand embossed it before covering
the whole of the inside with it.
~ coloured the tape with alcohol inks
~ placed in the bottom of the deep side of the tin six bright blue glass nuggets
~ poured in over the top of the glass nuggets some Anita's 3-D clear gloss finish
(basically the same stuff as Ranger's Glossy Accents, but a bit less expensive)
~ dropped in some other 'sea treasures' such as shiny beads, sequins and a couple
of mosaic fragments - not forgetting some more glitter flakes.
~ dropped in a piece of netting and a sea shell

I love the effect of the glass nuggets under the glaze and the alcohol ink colours on the bottom - I don't think the photo shows it off very well but I'm really pleased with the end result.

Think I may go and buy some more mints now - burp!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Genie said...

Turned out great Shelly!!
have a great weekend

Pattie said...

Oh WOW Sherry this is truly lovely !!

MARGARET FIELD said...

oh wow Sherry, what a great tutorial.
and thankyou for joining in. xxxxxx

Deborah said...

Wow! Is it one of those little Compliments tins that come in silver, blue or green? I have lots of those but thought they might be too small to alter. You have inspired me to have a go.
Deb (rustycage11 at MAMMA)

Unknown said...

all that work how gorgeous is it have left you two little surprises to pick up from my blog lvs sassyx

WendyK said...

Gorgeous Sherry, love it